International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Consultant within the Forage Diversity project to provide technical support in Software development and Database management for implementation of activities to improve management of forage genetic resources data in ILRI.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia. The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases.www.ilri.org.
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2015, an operating budget of about USD83 million. A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia www.cgiar.org
The forage diversity project maintains a large amount of data on the diversity in the germplasm in the collection and a relational database on the quality and availability of the germplasm in the in trust collections stored in the ILRI genebanks. Data validation and improvement of data completeness and quality is essential for smooth genebank operations. Improved management of forage genetic resources data activities are being implemented in 2105 to support data access and knowledge sharing. In particular the consultant will;
- Provide software support for database management and bar coding using .NET, FoxPro and Excel
- Compile characterization data and prepare in formats for publication in GENSYS
- Liaise with data managers in GENSYS to update ILRI data
- Redesign the forage diversity web site and on-line access to the forage germplasm resources to raise awareness and promote use of the collection
- Update information resources in the forage registry and crop genebank knowledge base
- Support the forage diversity project database manager by carrying out activities on assessing different genebank database development options like GRIN Global and MySQL
Consultancy Fee: A daily rate payable on a monthly basis
Essential Skills and Qualifications will include:
- A BSc degree in Information/computer science
- Software , web development and database management using Excel, Foxpro, SQL/MySQL, .NET, Drupal, Zend framework
Post location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duration: 8 months with a maximum number of 180 working days.
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae, and names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience should be included in the curriculum vitae. The position title and reference number FD/AB/02/2015 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter.
All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal:http://ilri.simplicant.com by 2 March 2015.
To find out more about ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.